New Chums Beach
New Chums beach is the secluded beach immediately north of Whangapoua. The only public access is by foot.
- Walk to the end of the beach
- Cross the lagoon stream
- Walk on the boulders at the edge of the sea until you reach the path
- Follow the path that takes you across the saddle to New Chums
- Wear sand shoes or walking shoes
- Best not to walk when there is a high surf running
- Take a water bottle and a towel
- Time taken is 30 minutes -- each way
NO CAMPING - NO OVERNIGHTING - NO ALCOHOL
ALCOHOL IS BANNED FROM THIS BEACH BY THE TCDC
Use the interactive map opposite to zoom-in and take a closer look at the route.
- Lagoon Stream
- Cross Here
Harbour Walk/Opera Point
This walk commences at the Opera Point reserve on the saddle between Whangapoua beach and the harbour.
The walk takes in views of the harbour and Castle Rock before coming to the entrance of the harbour where it empties into the Pacific Ocean.
From the entrance there are great views across to Matarangi Beach and Great Mercury Island. The walk goes around Opera point, site of an ancient Maori Pa and also a 19th Century Mill site.
From the harbour entrance you can either return the way you have come or carry on around the rocks (a slightly difficult scramble at times) at low tide taking in more great beach scenery before ending up back at Whangapoua beach.